This (updated) guide covers the 4Health Grain Free Dry Dog Food in-depth. For this review, we’ve considered factors such as:
- Customer feedback
- Reviews from pet sites/forums
(…See our 40 point inspection here)
After our research, which includes ingredient analysis, aggregating & analyzing customer reviews, and more, we conclude that the 4Health Grain Free Dry Dog Food gets an overall rating of 2.4 out of 5, which is about average when compared to other dog foods in this category. (Find detailed information below.)
I highly suggest checking out our latest guides below to see other alternatives in this category of dog food.
1 – The Best Grain Free Dog Foods
2 – The Best Grain Free Puppy Foods
List of dog foods in this product line
There are a total of 10 (ten) 4Health Grain Free Dry Dog Food recipes in this product line. We are using the first food listed as the benchmark for this review.
- 4Health Grain Free Beef and Potato
- 4Health Grain Free Large Breed
- 4Health Grain Free Puppy
- 4Health Grain Free Duck and Potato
- 4Health Grain Free Turkey and Potato
- 4Health Grain Free Whitefish and Potato
- 4Health Grain Free Pork and Vegetables
- 4Health Grain Free Small Breed
- 4Health Grain Free Chicken and Vegetables
- 4Health Grain Free Organic Chicken and Lentil
4Health Grain Free Beef and Potato
We are using “4Health Grain Free Beef and Potato” as the benchmark for this dog food review.
Life Stage: Any
Pet Size: Any
Crude Protein (min.)24.00%
Crude Fat (min.)14.00%
Crude Fiber (max)5.00%
Metabolizable Energy (ME) 3,486 kcal/kg; 337 kcal/cup as fed.
Beef, Beef Meal, Pea Protein, Dried Peas, Whole Potato, Pea Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Whole Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Manganese Proteinate, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Estimated Nutrient Content
These are the estimated nutrient content for the 4Health Grain Free Beef and Potato. We compare Protein, Fat, and Carbs using 3 different methods: Guaranteed Analysis, Dry Matter Basis, and Calorie Weighted Basis.
|Dry Matter Basis||27.0%||16.0%||50.0%|
|Calorie Weighted Basis||23.0%||33.0%||44.0%|
The estimated Fiber Dry Matter Content for this product is 5.6%
Following are the first seven ingredients for the 4Health Grain Free Beef and Potato:
- Clean flesh derived from slaughtered cattle
- Commonly included in dog food
- After processing, this ingredient will be a small part of the total content
- Naturally rich in the 10 essential amino acids
- Can include skeletal muscle or the tongue muscle tissue, diaphragm, esophagus or heart
- Meat concentrate (rendered beef meat that has been dried and ground up)
- Beef meal is generally considered safe and nutritious for your dog
- Concentrated, bioavailable protein source which contains up to 3 times more protein than fresh beef
- Includes clean skin, flesh, and possibly bones
- The starchy part of the vegetable has been removed
- Contains over 80% protein
- Has a lower biological value than meat
- Less costly plant-based that dog food manufacturers use to boost protein on the label
- Good source of carbohydrates
- Naturally rich in dietary fiber
- Contain about 27% protein
- Gluten-free source of digestible carbohydrates
- Not very high in nutritional value
- Quality can vary
- Commonly added to dog foods
- Contains as much as 25% protein
- Powder made from roasted yellow peas
- A high-quality ingredient
- Fat comes from processing meat and skimming the fat from the liquid surface
- High in omega-6 (linoleic acid)
- Commonly included in dog foods
The first seven ingredients listed above are the most important ones. Ingredients later in the order will not highly impact 4health Grain Free Canned dog food overall ratings.
- A controversial ingredient
- A by-product of sugar beet processing
- Critics say its an inexpensive filler
- Great for blood sugar & intestinal health benefits
- High fiber
- Rich in soluble fiber
- Contains up to 19% protein
- Excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Used in making beer
- Rich in nutrients and minerals
- Contains about 48% protein
- Fans believe it supports the immune system & repels fleas
- Critics argue it can be linked to allergies
- Although not scientifically verified, a minority of people think it increases the risk of developing bloat (a life-threatening condition)
- Chelated Minerals are comparably easy to absorb
- Higher quality dog foods usually use chelated minerals
- Minerals are essential nutrients that a pup needs to grow
An essential part of our dog food inspection includes looking at the customer feedback for the products we review. For the 4health Grain Free Dry Dog foods, we collected customer reviews from online retailers and other review sites/forums and found an average satisfaction rating of 2.2 out of 5 – Which is Slightly Below-Average
Considering only the ingredients used, the 4Health Grain Free Dry Dog Foods seems to be a Better-Than-Average product.
Using “Dry Matter Basis,” this dog food brand shows the following statistics:
- Protein = 27%
- Fat = 15%
- Carbs = 50%
As a whole group (all of the dog foods in this product line), this dog food brand shows the following statistics:
- Average protein content = 27%
- Mean Fat Level = 16%
- Average Carbs = 49%
- Estimated fat-to-protein ratio = 57%
When compared to typical dog food in this category:
- Average Protein
- Average Fat
- Average Carbs
After considering the factors mentioned in our inspection checklist, the 4Health Grain Free Dry dog food product line gets a rating of 2.4 out of 5 – which is about-average.
We highly recommend checking out our latest guides below to see alternatives in this category:
Coupons and Discounts
The following are the best coupons and discount codes for the 4health Dry Grain Free dog food.
(This section will be empty if there are no discounts or coupons available.)
The following list includes all of the 4health Grain Free Dry food recalls.
- Diamond Dog Food Recall (Dated: 5/6/2012)
(This section will be empty if there are no recalls or if we have not yet updated this page.)
How to Properly Switch Your Pet’s Food (Video)
Information on this page
We advise you to check the 4Health Official Website for updated information on this product. Dog Lover’s Digest does not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided on this page, as it is impossible for us to keep every post updated daily.
Analyses expressed in this article represent the author’s opinion; the manufacturer provides the data used for analysis, we are not a testing company and do not test the dog foods we review.
We appreciate your comments and assistance in updating the information published on this site. If you find an error in any of our posts, please contact us here.
This website is an open forum, and we encourage you to challenge our opinions and to agree or disagree with our conclusions in the comments section below.