Weighing around 5-7 pounds, the Yorkshire terrier is a cuddly and cute toy breed that possesses a big personality. Yorkies are generally very smart and require a nutritionally appropriate diet in small portions (approx. 150 calories per day).
Unfortunately, this cute breed is predisposed to health concerns such as hypoglycemia, collapsing tracheas, and dental issues. Thus, it is important to feed Yorkies a nutritionally balanced food developed specifically for them.
So what’s the best food for a Yorkie? I have compiled a list of The 11 Best Dog Foods for Yorkshire terriers.
All of the products are selected based on my 40 point inspection checklist, so let’s dive in.
The Best Dog Foods for Yorkshire Terriers
|Top Picks||Rating||Top Ingredients|
|1. Royal Canin — Yorkshire Terrier Adult Dry Dog Food|
|4.9||Brewers Rice, Brown Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken Fat, Wheat Gluten|
|2. Wellness — Small Breed Complete Health Adult Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe Dry Dog Food||4.9||Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice|
|3. Wellness CORE — Grain-Free Original Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal & Chicken Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food||4.8||Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potatoes|
|4. Hill’s Science Diet — Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food||4.7||Chicken, Brewers Rice, Yellow Peas, Cracked Pearled Barley, Whole Grain Sorghum|
|5. Blue Buffalo — Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food||4.7||Deboned Chicken, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal|
How to Switch Dog Food Without Getting Your Pup Sick
1. Royal Canin — Yorkshire Terrier Adult Dry Dog Food
- Caloric Content: 3,802 kcal/kg, 338 kcal/cup
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 26.0% (min.), crude fat 16.0% (min.), crude fiber 5.0% (max.), and moisture 10.0% (max.)
- Form: Dry
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Brewers Rice, 2. Brown Rice, 3. Chicken By-Product Meal, 4. Chicken Fat, 5. Wheat Gluten
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids
Packed with a variety of protein-packed ingredients including Taurine, Brewers Rice, Corn, and Fish Oil, this Dry Dog Food has been formulated exclusively for Yorkshire Terriers over ten months old. It offers exceptional flavor and aroma for fussy appetites and the nutrients have carefully selected to maintain the health of your Yorkie.
2. Wellness — Small Breed Complete Health Adult Turkey & Oatmeal Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 28.0% (min.), crude fat 15.0% (min.), crude fiber 4.0% (max.), and moisture 11.0% (max.)
- Caloric Content: 420 kcal/cup
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Deboned Turkey, 2. Chicken Meal, 3. Salmon Meal, 4. Oatmeal, 5. Ground Brown Rice
Looking for a delicious recipe to fulfill the cravings of your Yorkshire Terrier? Well, this quality protein and wholesome grain-filled dry food by Wellness is formulated specifically for your small breed like Yorkies. It’s formulated with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to help your Yorkie glow. This special chicken and Turkey-based dry food recipe not only support a healthy body weight by maintaining an optimal calorie count. With Vitamins A and C, it provides a boost for the immune system and promotes maximum nutrient absorption through the special oatmeal, turkey, and salmon recipe.
3. Wellness CORE — Grain-Free Original Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal & Chicken Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 34.0% (min.), crude fat 16.0% (min.), crude fiber 4.0% (max.), and moisture 10% (max.)
- Caloric Content: 421 kcal/cup
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Deboned Turkey, 2. Turkey Meal, 3. Chicken Meal, 4. Peas, Potatoes, 5. Dried Ground Potatoes
Made with deboned turkey and chicken meal, this grain-free high-protein recipe by Wellness provides your Yorkshire with wholesome nutrition. Chondroitin and glucosamine help them maintain joint and bone health, and Omega-3 fatty acids support your Yorkie’s silky coat and healthy skin. This food is free of artificial preservatives because your adult dog deserves the best.
4. Hill’s Science Diet — Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Small & Mini Breed Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 19.50% (min.), crude fat 12% (min.), crude fiber 4% (max.), and moisture 10.0% (max.)
- Caloric Content: 392 kcal/cup
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Chicken, 2. Brewers Rice, 3. Yellow Peas, 4. Cracked Pearled Barley, 5. Whole Grain Sorghum
Offering precise nutrition to promote a healthy lifestyle for your Yorkie, this Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food contains prebiotics, added fiber, and Omega-6 fatty acids to protect dogs with sensitive stomachs and sensitive skin. What’s more: The combination of Vitamin C, E, and antioxidants work together to promote a healthy immune system for adult small and toy breeds.
5. Blue Buffalo — Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 26% (min.), crude fat 15% (min.), crude fiber 4% (max.), and moisture 10.0% (max.)
- Caloric Content: 3,648 kcal/kg, 397 kcal/cup
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Deboned Chicken, 2. Brown Rice, 3. Oatmeal, 4. Barley, 5. Menhaden Fish Meal
If you’re focused on the health and well-being of your Yorkie, this Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is made with a precise blend of antioxidant-rich ingredients to promote healthy muscle development. It contains real meat, fruits, and garden veggies for immune system health, and glucosamine for joint health and mobility. Moreover, the carbohydrates and proteins offered by deboned chicken are perfect for the energy needs of the smaller Yorkies
6. Pedigree — Small Dog Complete Nutrition Roasted Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Flavor Small Breed Dry Dog Food
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 21.0% (min.), crude fat 11% (min.), crude fiber 4.0% (max.), and moisture 12.0% (max.)
- Caloric Content: 3,490 kcal/kg, 342 kcal/cup
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Ground Whole Grain Corn, 2. Poultry By-Product Meal, 3. Brewers Rice, 4. Corn Gluten Meal, 5. Soybean Meal
Made specifically for smaller dogs like the Yorkie, this Pedigree dog food gives your petite pup the big nutrition they require. The recipe includes roasted chicken along with vegetable flavor and rice which gives your pet all the energy required to stay healthy. What’s more: Omega-6 fatty acids ensure a shiny and healthy coat while the precise blend of whole grains supports healthy digestion for your small-sized adult Yorkshire.
7. CANIDAE — All Life Stages Less Active Formula Dry Dog Food
- Caloric Content: 3,300 kcal/kg, 3.3 kcal/g, 1,500 kcal/lb., 342 kcal/cup
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 22.50% (min.), crude fat 8.50% (min.), crude fiber 4.5% (max.), and moisture 10% (max.)
- Form: Dry
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Chicken Meal, 2. Brown Rice, 3. White Rice, 4. Rice Bran, 5. Peas
This food from Canidae is free from common allergens like wheat, corn, and soy and is appropriate for dogs of all life stages. It includes chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, and peas as its first five ingredients and is made for less active and overweight dogs. A good pick for the less active Yorkie.
8. Merrick — Real Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Caloric Content: 3419 kcal/kg, 377 kcal/cup
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 28.0% (min.), crude fat 12.0% (min.), crude fiber 4.5% (max.), and moisture 11% (max.)
- Form: Dry
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Deboned Beef, 2. Sweet Potatoes, 3. Peas, 4. Lamb Meal, 5. Potatoes
If you’re hunting for a poultry-free, nutritious recipe for your pet, this Merrick Real Beef recipe uses deboned beef as its first ingredient along with lamb, peas, and potatoes to offer necessary fats, vitamins, and carbohydrates. This healthy recipe eats like comfort food, but with nutritious value for your Yorkie. Its DHA ingredient supports healthy brain development along with vitamins and minerals to provide complete nutrition. The all-natural, gluten-free ingredients are a great daily treat for your pup. This recipe is ideal for dogs who are sensitive to poultry
Yorkshire Terriers Senior Dog Foods
9. Nutro — Wholesome Essentials Senior Farm Raised Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Life Stage: Senior
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 23.0% (min.), crude fat 12% (min.), crude fiber 4.0% (max.), and moisture 10.0% (max.)
- Form: Dry
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Chicken, 2. Brewers Rice, 3. Whole Brown Rice, 4. Chicken Meal, 5. Split Peas
Older Yorkies can experience aging challenges such as memory loss, sensitivity to food and mobility issues. The Nutro Wholesome Essentials Dry dog food is formulated for senior Yorkies. It contains special replenish antioxidants, Omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and ALA which support cellular and brain health. The ingredients include real chicken, oatmeal and whole brown rice which is not only easy to digest but also very delicious.
10. VICTOR — Senior Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
- Life Stage: Senior
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 27.0% (min.), crude fat 11.5% (min.), crude fiber 4.5% (max.), and moisture 9.0% (max.)
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Beef Meal, 2. Whole Grain Brown Rice, 3. Whole Grain Millet, 4. Grain Sorghum, 5. Chicken Fat
This Victor Purpose Senior Healthy Dry Dog Food is a great choice for your senior Yorkie. Its nutrient-dense formula includes chondroitin and glucosamine to helps maintain joint health and convert fats to energy for muscle development. This food is ideal for less active senior dogs who need to lose weight, and the gluten-free formula is easy on those Yorkies with sensitive digestion.
Other Interesting Guides:
Frequently Asked Questions about Yorkshire terrier Food
What should I feed my Yorkshire terrier?
Adult dogs require a combination of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins such as vegetables, fish oil, and potatoes. So your Yorkie’s food must contain all-natural ingredients with turkey, lamb, chicken or fish as the primary ingredient
For Yorkies, which is better dog food – dry or wet?
When looking for canine food, you must have noticed that there are two main types available: dry and wet dog food. If you are wondering which one is better for your Yorkie, then the answer is dry food. The reason being that Yorkies have sensitive teeth and so it is better to provide them dry food. For detailed information, you must consult your vet.
How much food should I feed my Yorkie?
The answer may vary from dog to dog as each one of them has different needs. If your pet, for example, is more active, then he is going to need a lot more food as compared to other dogs. Moreover, younger dogs eat more as compared to the older ones. Usually, a puppy consumes 45 to 55 calories per day whereas adult dogs consume a different number of calories so you cannot define because all foods have a different amount of calories.
Can I feed scrambled eggs to my Yorkie?
Although scrambled egg won’t cause any serious harm to your dog there are better ways to feed eggs to your Yorkie. Eggs are full of protein thus they are quite healthy for dogs. Moreover, different forms of egg are filled with essential amino and fatty acids which contribute positively to your dog’s health.
Are Yorkshire Terriers fussy eaters?
Yorkies are very picky eaters and possess selective eating habits which may be because of their sensitive teeth. Adult Yorkies often avoid grains and pellets, for example, since hard food often causes an upset stomach and discomfort in their teeth. Such a situation can even lead to tooth loss which is why Yorkies tend to be very fussy eaters.
What food should Yorkies not eat?
Yorkshires should not be given any food that is hard to chew or digest such as Onions, Garlic, Grapes, Macadamia Nuts, Chives, Broccoli, Fruits, seeds and Bones. This is because Yorkies have very sensitive teeth and stomach which can get upset due to digestion of wrong food. Thus it’s necessary to read ingredients before giving any dog food to your furry friend.
What should I look for in a Yorkshire terrier’s food?
Yorkies have small stomachs and small mouths thus dry food for this breed is made softer so it can be easily chewed and digested. You must check that dog food contains essential proteins like chicken, carbohydrates such as sweet potatoes, and fats such as fish oils, for your Yorkie.
How much should my Yorkie eat in a day?
The recommended amount of food is given under the food label of dog food box – your dog may require less or more than it. In general, Yorkshire Terriers eat 1/4 to a half cup of dog food daily. While puppies may consume 3 to 4 meals a day, adult Yorkies should eat only twice a day.
When should I change my Yorkie’s food?
It is recommended to switch food every one to three months – or plan it during the time when you replenish the supplies of your dog’s food. During this switch period, dog owners must feed an increasing amount of new food and decreasing amount of old food until it has been completely replaced.
Is grain-free food good for Yorkshire terrier?
Since Yorkies are prone to dental troubles, it’s better to avoid foods which have crunchy or brittle texture; such as grains. Yorkshire Terriers need the right type of food to stay healthy and happy so it is essential to provide grain-free, soy-free and wheat-free food which fulfills the requirement of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates via other supplements such as chicken, sweet potatoes and fish oil.
Can Yorkshire terriers eat cucumbers?
Cucumbers offer a low-calorie snack for dogs and are perfectly safe for them to eat. This is one of the Best Dog Foods for Yorkshire terriers. However, in order to prevent your pet from choking, it is essential to cut cucumbers into manageable-sized pieces. This precautionary measure is especially for small dogs who have small mouths and sensitive teeth. It is also advisable to not feed a whole cucumber to your Yorkshire
Can Yorkies eat peanut butter?
Generally, peanut butter is a nutritious and healthy snack both for humans and dogs. Yorkshires, in particular, can benefit from fats and proteins of peanut butter in many ways. However, it is essential to feed them only a small amount of it. Dogs with the risk of high-level cholesterol may also be fat peanut butter in a very controlled portion.
What can I feed my picky Yorkie?
Small dogs, such as Yorkshires, are picky eaters since they have sensitive teeth, small mouths, and small stomachs. When it comes to being offered human food, Yorkies tend to be very fussy. The best advice is to offer them a small-sized kibble and leave it in the bowl without offering any other food. You can also soften the kibble with a little bit of water if that helps
Are bananas good for Yorkies?
Soft foods, in particular, are very pleasant to dogs such as Yorkshire Terriers. The reason being, Yorkies are kind of vegans because they enjoy eating veggies and soft plants. Thus fruits such as bananas, apples, kiwis, oranges and pears are amongst their favorite food options.
What can be a good treat for Yorkshire Terriers?
Raw carrots can be given as snacks to your Yorkies as a treat. A good serving size includes 1-2 baby carrots for puppies and 2-3 carrots for adults. Other vegetables such as green beans, sweet potatoes, zucchini, sweet baby peas, and regular potatoes can also be given to your pet as a treat.
The Buyer’s Guide: Food for Yorkshire terrier
Like other teddy bear dogs, this toy dog breed has tiny mouths thus they require food to be appropriately sized. It is also essential to note that Yorkies have bad teeth and tiny tummies. Thus it’s best to feed them small kibble sized meals.
Yorkies need three small feedings, of allergen-free food, a day. So what to look for in a Yorkie Terrier’s food?
Essential Ingredients for Your Yorkie
- Fats: Healthy Fats are essential for your fur baby! Yorkies are unlikely to get weight problems so you can always opt for foods that contain a higher level of fats. Apart from that, fats are great to keep Yorkie’s coat shiny and smooth.
- Proteins: Crude proteins top the list of necessary ingredients in your Yorkie’s food. A protein-rich diet will boost the energy levels of your furry friend along with promoting the development of strong muscles. Therefore, the majority of Yorkies dog foods contain meats as a primary ingredient so as to ensure optimal protein intake. The most common sources of protein for your Yorkie include meats such as turkey, bison, lamb, fish, and chicken.
- Carbohydrates: Your Yorkie’s diet must also contain carbohydrates of high quality since they contain essential fibers and thus provide sufficient energy to your dog so they can play and enjoy. The most popular sources of Carbohydrates include potato, sweet peas, brown rice, and pasta.
Factors to Consider When Picking Food for Yorkshire terrier
One may struggle in picking the best dog foods for Yorkshire terrier – but that is very common. I have listed a few important factors which you need to consider before making your buying decision:
- LID formulation: This simply refers to the fact that pet food should have limited ingredients and does not contain preservatives or allergens. LID formulation also ensures that there is only one primary source of nutrients such as beef, chicken or turkey.
- Fiber Richness: Many pet owners may argue that fiber is not very significant for a dog’s diet. However, proper intake of fibers promotes the health of digestive systems. Keeping in view that Yorkies have small tummies, it is important to consider that they can easily get stomach diseases. In such a scenario, fibers help in protecting the colon from excess water and also help in resolving constipation
- Vitamins and Minerals: In order to save your pets from poor growth, malnutrition or any other diseases, vitamins are extremely important. Some of the most important vitamins and minerals to look for in a dog’s food are Vitamin A, B, C, D, and E, copper, calcium, iron and phosphorous. These ingredients play a crucial role in maintaining your furry baby’s health and growth.
Now that you are aware of Yorkie’s nutritional needs, you are ready to shop for the Best Dog Foods for Yorkshire terriers. Don’t forget to look for products made with wholesome natural ingredients and no artificial additives.