Labradors are lovely dogs, but the same can’t be said for how they chew.
No matter which toy you give them, they’ll return it to you in multiple pieces.
But what if we told you, there are toys that can stand your lab’s razor-sharp teeth and ferocious chewing?
That’s right! There are some toys out there that can stand even the toughest of chewers. And here, we’ve compiled a list of all of them.
Not only that, but you’ll also find a full in-depth buyer’s guide that has been made to prep you for buying the best chewing toys for your lab.
So, if you’re ready, let’s dig into it!
The Best Chew Toys For Labs -- My Top 5 Picks
Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Dog Chew, X-Large
- Made from the toughest materials for the most aggressive chewing labs
- Bristle-design helps with removing tartar and clean teeth
- Flavoured throughout with bacon flavour which attracts dogs
- Help fight anxiety and boredom while also reducing destructive chewing
- Made in the USA with the toughest and strongest materials
An all-round great-chewing toy, the Nylabone Dura Chew is a must for every Labrador. The power chew series, which is specially made for the most aggressive chewers, is also bacon flavoured, unlike other chewing toys. More so, it’s clever design with ridges and bristles provide a good grip while removing the plaque off your dog’s teeth. A chewing toy like this also has multiple benefits such as helping with anxiety, boredom as well as destructive chewing.
KONG -- Extreme Dog Toy -- Toughest Natural Rubber, Black
- Built from Kong’s extreme black rubber formula for optimum durability
- Great for providing mental stimulation and fulfilling chewing instincts of dogs
- Makes a great fetch toy due to its ability to bounce
- Can be stuffed with dog’s favourite snacks for more happiness
- Recommended by vets and trainers throughout the world
Perhaps one of the most stubborn chew toys of all time, the Kong Extreme Dog Toy is a top choice for dogs that have torn through almost every other toy. The durability comes from Kong’s exclusive rubber compound which makes it almost impossible to tear apart. Therefore, it can help satisfy your dog’s instinctual chewing needs in a healthy and non-destructive way. Not only that, but the hollow design of the toy also allows owners to fill their dog’s favourite treats to give them a little bit off a challenge too!
Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy
- Wishbone design with a special shape for a better grip
- Packed with food-grade bacon flavour and scent which attracts dogs
- Durability and strong build quality help improve safety and longevity
- Manufactured in the USA with locally sourced materials and ingredients
- Benebone actively donates and helps animal and dog shelters in the U.S.
The Benebone wishbone is a powerful chewing toy that’s also a yummy treat. The ergonomic wishbone design of this chewing toy allows a better grip for more enjoyable playing sessions. However, it’s the tempting bacon scent and flavour of the wishbone that drives dog’s crazy over this toy. You can also choose from peanut butter or chicken, depending on what your lab prefers. The toy is made in the USA with locally sourced materials and the best quality standards.
West Paw Zogoflex Zisc Durable Dog Frisbee Nearly Indestructible Flying Disc Dog Toy
West Paw Design
- Amazing durability and comes with a 100% guarantee against dog damage
- Best for labs that love to play fetch with a frisbee as it flies just as far as a plastic one
- Produced from a safe, FDA-compliant, non-toxic soft plastic material
- Can float and is lightweight so it’s easy on your dog’s teeth and your hands
- Made in the USA and rated as recyclable and dishwasher safe
If your lab is a fan of frisbees and playing fetch but is crazy aggressive when it comes to chewing, then this toy is perfect for you. Unlike plastic frisbees, this one’s made out of tough but soft plastic material so it’s easy on your dog’s teeth but can also endure lots of chewing. Despite that, it flies just as far and fast as a plastic one and also floats so you don’t have to worry about it landing in a pond or pool.
Chuckit Ultra Ball Large (1 Pack)
- Strong rubber construction along with a dense rubber interior for durability
- Textured exterior that’s soft on the mouth yet remains grippy
- Great buoyancy for playing fetch near pools and ponds
- Vivid and attractive colours for increased visibility and appeal
- Best for labs that love playing fetch but tear apart normal balls
What dog doesn’t love a good old squeaky ball? If your lab usually rips apart most balls into pieces, then the Chuckit Ultra Ball is what you’re looking for. It’s tough, textured rubber exterior along with its rubber core makes it almost impossible for your dog to chew through it. The bright colours of the ball and its buoyancy make it perfect for playing fetch, especially in parks or swimming pools. Safe to say, this ball is a must-have for every Labrador and dog owner.
Labrador’s are some of the most ambitious chewers of all breeds and love to play, dig, fetch and chew all day. They’re tougher than other breeds and possess a greater chewing strength, both adults and puppies. This is why they have particularly different requirements when it comes to chewing toys.
The 4 Types and How to Use Them Right
Before you begin purchasing a chewing toy, you need to first look at all the different elements of each toy and make sure they suit the needs of your dog. As for the basic requirements, you want the toys to last so your lab can enjoy them for a long time and want them to be safe and non-hazardous. Here are the other factors regarding the toy itself that you should know about:
If you’ve already bought chewing toys for your lab before, you can probably relate. Labs are surprisingly amazing at tearing down things into shreds, including toys. That’s why you only want the most durable chewing toys there are in the market. Durability is also important for another reason, and that’s safety. The last thing that any dog owner would want is their pup swallowing something dangerous or toxic, which is why durability matters. Because durability is directly related to materials, let’s move on to it.
Most chewing toys are made out of two or three basic materials; rubber, rope and cotton. For Labradors, rubber and rope are usually the better choices. Let’s take a deeper look:
- Rubber Toys: One of the best materials for chewing toys is rubber. However, labs can even tear apart normal rubber chewing toys. But there are alternatives to that. There are manufacturers that have created special, stronger rubber compounds that can withstand extreme chewing forces of breeds like labs. Brands including Kong, Goughnuts and West Paw Design are particularly good at this and have created some incredibly sturdy rubber toys for dogs.
- Rope Toys: The best part about rope toys are they’re basically impossible to break. They can take substantial amounts of chewing as well as tugging force, making them optimum for both chewing and tug-of-war toys. We recommend purchasing a rope toy which is made out of natural cotton fibres. Probably the only way rope toys will break down is that a few strands can come loose. And even if they ingest a small strand or part of it, they’re very less likely to cause any digestive upsets or stomach issues.
- Plush Cotton Toys: Stuffed cotton toys are exactly what you should NOT be giving your lab. Not only will they tear them down in seconds, but they also pose a health hazard as the filling inside can cause stomach problems. Despite this, we have still mentioned a plush toy on our list. The reason for that is the toy contains almost zero stuffing and is pretty sturdy in terms of enduring pulling and tugging.
The perfect sized toys are necessary for increased safety as well as more enjoyable chewing sessions. Labs tend to be somewhere between medium to large size, so you should always buy the toys keeping this in mind. If the toy is too small, it could present a choking hazard, and if they’re too big, they’ll hurt the jaws of your pooch.
Safety should be a priority for every dog owner when purchasing chewing toys. Try to ensure that the materials the toys are constructed out of are non-toxic and non-hazardous. It’s also best to check if the toy is FDA-compliant or not, which also ensure additional safety. Taking care of all of these is important as you never know when your lab accidentally swallows a piece of the toy and what problem that causes. So, it’s necessary that you check on these points and be safe rather than sorry.
What Indestructible Really Means
Most of you might already have seen the term ‘indestructible’ attached to chewing toys. But how authentic is that term really? Well not much.
Indestructible doesn’t mean that the chewing toy will last forever and ever. What it does mean is that the toy is much tougher and long-lasting than other toys. Some might last for just a few days, while others will tend to keep up for years. All of it depends on your dog and how aggressively they chew. Some dogs might rip apart even the strongest of toys, so there’s really no guarantee for a certain toy.
Another important thing you should keep in mind is to always supervise your dogs with chewing toys. Especially during the first few days, try to keep a close eye on them and the toy for any missing pieces. Because the last thing you’d want is your lab accidentally swallowing a piece of the toy. Not to mention the trouble that will be caused, it can also cost a pretty penny in veterinary bills.
However, on the bright side, most indestructible chewing toy manufacturers provide a replacement warranty against damage. If you’re unsure about your dog’s chewing strength, it’s better to have this warranty with the toy your purchasing. Labs tend to be pretty tough chewers, so you shouldn’t underestimate their strength. Thus, it’s always better to choose the most durable chewing toys with a replacement warranty for Labradors.
What Kind Of Toys Will My Labrador Love?
Because there are so many different types of toys with different shapes and purposes, it can become difficult to decide which one is best for your dog. However, in reality, the choice isn’t that difficult.
To put it simply, the toys that would suit your Labrador best entirely depends on your dog’s personality. Most labs share somewhat similar personalities and the toys that we have included in our list are those that every Labrador would love to play with. However, if your dog is a bit different, you could choose some other type of toy that they would enjoy even more.
Labrador Retrievers are a very energetic, intelligent and outdoor-loving breed. They love to run and work hard and are excellent at retrieving, hence their name. They’re also very powerful chewers with strong jaws and can become destructive with chewing if not provided with adequate activity. Keeping that in mind, here are the best types of toys you can get for your lab:
Perhaps the best and most important toy for a Labrador would be a fetching toy. You could choose to buy an indestructible ball, or a rubber frisbee or some type of shot-put toy. Take these to the park to play fetch with your lab and watch how they go crazy over them. If you get them a ball that squeaks, they’ll enjoy it even more. Fetching toys are a safe bet for labs and must-have for Labrador owners.
The second-best toy for labs would be chewing toys. Not everyone has the time to regularly provide enough outdoor activity for a Labrador. Also, some Labradors tend to be pretty aggressive chewers and love to have something in their mouth they can chew on all the time. In that case, indestructible chewing toys are the answer.
You could choose either rubber toys or rope toys as both work equally well. Just make sure that the size is big enough and they are the strongest of the bunch. These toys are also particularly great at reducing separation anxiety or helping boredom in dogs.
Plus, if you’ve got a puppy lab, they’re going to be chewing down everything in their sight when they’re teething. In this case, a chewing toy will help soothe their gums, satisfy their chewing urges and prevent them from ruining the furniture and your shoes. So, in conclusion, indestructible chewing toys are a must for lab owners if you want to stop their habit of destructive chewing and keep them happy.
Another great kind of toy for labs is tugging toys. These are usually best for people who struggle with a daily battle of tug-of-war with their dogs. So, if your lab likes tugging and pulling so much, why not get them a proper toy for it instead of doing the same with your precious shoes? Tugging toys are made out of very durable and elastic material that lets your play tug-of-war with them and satisfy their urge to tug at things. These are also a great source of interacting with your pooch if you don’t have time for outdoor games.
Are there any indestructible toys for my Labrador?
There are a lot of Labrador toys that are really strong and are assured to resist any chewing done by most Labradors. However, a healthy Labradors can chew through almost anything so selecting the appropriate toy according to their size and strength is something you should consider.
How are indestructible toys for my Labrador different?
There are indestructible Labrador toys that are made to withstand aggressive chewing done by them. They’re tougher and more difficult to rip apart but aren’t guaranteed to be completely indestructible. Also, they’re really beneficial for improving the Labrador’s overall mental and physical health which will make them more active and stronger.
Benefits of chewing toys on my Labrador’s health?
Labradors can get easily bored which the toy can help to relieve by engaging them in an activity. It also helps provide good mental stimulation improving your Labradors overall behaviour. Also, chewing toys help improve the overall dental health of your dog by removing tartar from their teeth.
Do indestructible toys have a guarantee?
It really depends on the manufacturers whether any offer a replacement to their product has been offered or not. We recommend checking the manufacturer’s information and replacement policy before buying the product.
Is the material of indestructible toys strong and what is it made of?
Yes, there are dog toys that are extremely tough and can endure almost anything. Indestructible Labrador toys are mostly made from durable materials such as nylon, tough natural rubber or double-knit ropes making them almost impossible to chew through and to be torn apart.
Which chewing toy would be the best for my Labrador?
The right toy would really depend on your Labrador’s physique and interests. Some prefer chewing toys that simply provide flavour and help them get rid of anxiety. While others would prefer chewing toys which they can tug and pull or maybe play fetch with as well.
What if my Labrador swallow’s a piece of a toy?
If your Labrador accidentally swallows a piece of a toy, it’s better to contact your veterinarian immediately or take them to a veterinary hospital at the earliest. A vet will be better able to decide which process would be best to take the foreign object out of their body.
Why does my Labrador eat the toys I bring?
There are several reasons why your Labrador might be trying to eat their toys. One reason could be that they’re lacking any stimulation by the toy, or maybe they’re bored. Another reason for this behaviour in labs could be loneliness or separation anxiety, or simply the fact that they don’t like the toy.
My Remaining Picks For Best Chew Toys For Labs
KONG -- Extreme Goodie Bone
- Made from Kong’s toughest extreme rubber formula for maximum strength
- Stuffable ends for placing treats for a fun challenge and proper nutrition
- Provides mental stimulation while the dog tries to pull out a treat from bone
- Helps battle boredom, separation anxiety, weight management and teething for puppies
- Made in the USA with globally sourced materials
Bones are the perfect companion to a dog, but this extreme goodie bone from Kong takes it to another level. It’s constructed out of Kong’s extreme rubber formula which is only used for the toughest toys and the most aggressive chewers. But what’s new with this is that both the ends of the bone are hollow so that you can fill your lab’s favourite snacks or treats in them. Not only does this provide mental stimulation but is also a great way to get their nutrition into the right place.
Nylabone Power Chew Textured Ring
- Ring shape which is easier to hold while chewing for most dogs
- Textured finish which helps cater the instinctual chewing needs of dogs
- Bristles and nudges clean tartar and plaque off teeth for better dental health
- Flavoured with a special medley to appeal to the palate of dogs
- Reduces destructive chewing in dogs – great for teething puppies
The Nylabone Textured Ring is a simple yet amazing chewing toy for lab’s that simply want something tasty and fun to chew on all day long. The ring shape of the toy makes it very convenient for them to hold in their mouth, while the bumps and nudges on it help satisfy their chewing instincts. Not only that, but the bristles also help gently remove plaque promoting better dental hygiene. But the best part is, your dog can even taste the ring as it is especially flavoured to the liking of dogs.
West Paw Design Zogoflex Tug-o-War Dog Toy
West Paw Design
- Great for labs that love to tug and pull as well as chew on things
- Built from a tough material that can stretch up to two times its length
- Helps you interact with your dog by playing tug-o-war with them
- Guaranteed against dog damage by West paw design
- Safety tested and FDA-compliant, non-toxic product
If your lab is a tough cookie and wants to tug all the time, the West paw design tug-o-war toy will be the perfect choice for you both. With this toy, your dog can pull one side all they want while you can hold onto the other. And this is thanks to its ability to extend up to 2 times its length without breaking. So, if you’ve got a tough lab that loves to tug, this toy is a great choice for them to satisfy their need to chew and for you to interact with your pooch.
Outward Hound Squeaker Matz Squeaky Dog Toy
- Contains 16 squeakers placed along the entire length of the mat
- Engaging and fun – can keep your Labrador busy for a long time
- Strong exterior made to withstand chewing from tough chewers
- Plush and cuddly – makes a great bedtime toy for dogs
- Can also be used as a tugging and pulling toy for more interactive playing
If you could never get your lab a fluffy squeaker from the fear of their ferocious chewing, then the Outward Hound Squeaker Matz is what you should buy. This fluffy alligator mat comes with 16 squeakers which dogs go crazy over for hours and hours. The mat is soft and plush despite containing very less stuffing, so it can become a great bedtime partner to your pooch. More than that, the tough built of the mat will prevent your dog from tearing it to pieces, however, we still recommend supervising them.
Goughnuts -- TuG Interactive Large Dog Toy -- MaXX Black
- Dual-ring design allows interactive tug-of-war games with owners or another dog
- Unique design ensures the safety of your pet while playing
- Made from a strong rubber material that can withstand great pulling strength
- Best for medium and large dogs – 11 inches long and 6 inches wide
This is yet another amazing tugging toy, only that it’s made by one of the best chewing dog toy makers in the world, Goughnuts. The interactive toy shaped like two rings allows your lab to play tug with their owners or another dog. Not only this, but this unique design also makes the toy safer and easier to play with. It uses a special rubber formula that can endure strong pulling force. However, it might not sustain too much chewing action so always supervise your dog.
Multipet Nuts for Knots Heavy Duty Rope Dog Toy
- Made from a sturdy nylon rope material that’s guaranteed to endure
- Can be played with in multiple ways – can be used for fetch, chewing or tug-of-war
- Safe in case your dog accidentally consumes a small piece of it
- Bright and attractive colours make the toy look appealing
The heavy-duty rope from Multipet Nuts is an awesome all-round toy with impressive durability making it a must-have for every Labrador owner. The nylon rope construction makes it extremely sturdy as well as safe in case your dog accidentally swallows some. It’s great for interactive games and just about every occasion, whether it’s chewing on it, playing tug-of-war or even a little fetch. No matter what, one thing’s for sure and that is that it’s guaranteed to keep your lab busy for a long time.
Nylabone Puppy Chew Gentle Chewing Puppy X Bone Small Beef Flavored Chew Toy
- Helps reduce destructive chewing in puppies during the teething stage
- Nudges and grooves help massage gums and relieve pain
- Bristles help remove plaque and maintain dental hygiene of puppies
- Beef flavour and scent attracts puppies and prevents them from chewing other stuff
During teething, puppies can become significantly disastrous by chewing everything in sight. If you’ve got a teething Labrador, then this chewing toy is the solution to those problems. The special grooves and nudges on the toy are incredibly useful for massaging your pup’s gums and soothing pain which is common while teething. More so, these bristles also gently clean their teeth and improve their dental health. And the best part of all, the toy is beef flavoured which attracts puppies and keeps them busy all day long.
Otterly Pets Puppy Dog Pet Rope Toys -- Medium to Large Dogs (5-Pack)
- 5-piece package – contains rope ball, shot put style toy, a ring, 4-knot rope and a tugging toy
- Made out of 100% natural cotton fibres which is safe and washable
- Gently massages gums as well as cleans teeth by removing plaque and tartar
- Can be used for both interactive games or simply for chewing
- Comes with a lifetime warranty from Otterly Pets for a hassle-free purchase
A great all-in-one chewing toy package for dogs, the 5-piece pack contains almost every sort of toy you or your Labrador could ever need. All of the toys are made from a natural cotton rope which is pretty safe as well as washable. The toys can help you play many interactive games such as fetch and tug-of-war, or just simply allow your lab to chew on them all they want. More than that, the package is backed by a lifetime warranty by Otterly Pets so you can purchase worry-free.
Labradors are an amazing breed and very active. They are also notorious chewers, but thankfully there are tons of awesome chewing toys in the market. If you’re a lab owner, we highly recommend you get them lots of chew toys to keep them happy and satisfied. Providing them with the right toys not only allows them to remain healthy but satisfied too which means less trouble for you and your lab as well. Carefully go through all the sections in the article, and you will be fully knowledgeable about everything you need to keep your lab and yourself happy!