Is your dog chewing your new shoes again?
Or is he destroying your expensive sofa?
If you’re noticing this behavior in your dog, chances are you’ve got a tough chewer. But how do you satisfy your dog’s strong chewing instincts? Simple. Through indestructible chewing toys.
Buy one of these, and see how your dog keeps himself busy for hours trying to rip them apart. They won’t even notice you’ve got leather shoes and a couch!
And to help you in this quest of finding the best durable chewing toys for your dog, we’ve created this special list and buyer’s guide to make the process much easier for you.
So if you’re ready, let’s dig into it!
The Best Indestructible Chewing Toys
There are my top 5 picks. See the remaining top indestructible chewy toys later in the post…
KONG – Extreme Dog Toy
- Made out of special rubber formula for aggressive chewers
- Available in 5 different sizes ranging from small to XX-large
- Fillable with treats for added fun and attractiveness
- Great for helping dogs with chewing, separation anxiety, boredom etc.
- Made in the USA and recommended by vets and trainers
An absolute essential for your dog, this tough chewer from Kong is one of the best toys available on the market. It’s made out of a special rubber formula that survives even against the toughest jaws. More than that, its hollow design allows it to be filled with your dog’s favorite treat to make it even more exciting. And no matter how old your dog is, this toy is available in 5 sizes to fit their needs.
West Paw Design Zogoflex Bumi Guaranteed Tough Tug-o-War Toy
- Stretches up to 2 times to survive aggressive tugging and chewing
- Made from non-toxic and FDA compliant material – BPA and phthalate-free
- Great toy for interacting with your dog
- Comes with a 100% damage safety guarantee
- Recyclable and Made in the USA
If tugging and tearing things is a habit of your puppy, then this toy is a must-get for you. Made out of a special rubber material that stretches up to 2 times its length, the Tug-o-War toy allows your dog to pull and tug it while you hold it in your hand. More so, this toy is also perfect for 2 dogs who like to tug and won’t ever break, as per its dog damage guarantee.
ZippyPaws – Skinny Peltz No Stuffing Squeaky Plush Dog Toy
- Three squeakers based on woodland creatures (Fox, Racoon and Squirrel)
- 3 loudspeakers installed to further excite your dog
- Best for satisfying their natural hunting instincts safely and harmlessly
- Free of stuffing to avoid any mess and increase longevity
- Perfect size, great design and feel for satisfaction
Most dogs would love to have a squirrel they can chew and play with without actually hurting them. Thankfully with these skinny Peltz dog toys, you can make your dog’s dreams come true. This squeaky and fluffy trio can keep your dog entertained for long periods of time and satisfy their natural instincts without causing any mess or trouble.
West Paw Zogoflex Tux Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Chew Toy
- Made from a tough plastic material to prevent tearing
- Great toy for playtime – bounces, floats, and flings around easily
- Can be stuffed with some treats to increase your dog’s engagement
- Made in the USA from recyclable plastic
- FDA compliant, BPA and phthalates-free product
Another treat-dispensing favorite of ours, this tough chewer is great for any dog with tickling teeth. The toy itself is capable of bouncing, floating and flinging, making it great for any occasion or games. Thanks to its durable material, the Tux surely won’t ever tear or rip apart. To further increase the fun, you could fill it with some of your dog’s favorite treats to keep them interested for a long time.
Snug Rubber Dog Balls for Small and Medium Dogs
- Made from 100% natural rubber instead of plastic foam
- Great for playing fetch and other games – bright colors automatically attract dogs
- Safe and BPA-free material for buyer’s satisfaction
- Can be used anywhere like swimming pools, parks or other outdoor areas
- Not recommended for larger breeds due to a choking hazard
We all know how fragile tennis balls can be against aggressive chewers. For that reason, Snug has created these ultra-durable dog balls to withstand even the most violent chewers. Made out of natural rubber, these balls are built to survive the toughest chewing by your dog. You could choose to play fetch, or any other game with these bright and colorful balls without once worrying about them deforming.
How to Use a Kong Dog Toy – 90% of Behavior Problems Eliminated
Before we begin with the buyer’s guide, it’s essential to understand indestructible dog toys and aggressive chewers themselves. From then onwards, it’ll become easier to choose the right features and pick the better toy.
What are the indestructible toys? Are they really unbreakable?
Chewing is a part of a dog’s innate nature. It’s essential to keeping anxiety away and to keep their teeth and gums healthy, especially during teething. However, none of us appreciates it when they’re chewing on our brand-new shoes or the couch in the lounge. That’s why they need chewing toys.
Here’s where indestructible chewing toys come in. Basically, these are toys that are made out of tough materials and compounds with solid construction. Because these toys are sturdier than normal ones, they tend to keep their shape for quite some time while allowing your dog to satisfy their needs. They’re also difficult to wear down by the sharp teeth and aggressive chewing of dogs. However, the term doesn’t mean that the toys are literally unbreakable.
The term indestructible actually means that these toys will survive harsh chewing for longer than normal toys. However, not even these will last forever. No matter what some brands claim, some dogs will still find a way to chew down even the most stubborn chewing toys. So, while it’s important to choose the right material and construction for chewing toys, it’s just as essential to keep a check on your dog. This means always keeping an eye on them and never leaving them alone when they’re playing with their toys.
Choosing the right indestructible chewing toy
There are many different aspects when choosing the best durable dog toys. Material, price, function, size and even your dog’s personality, all play an important role in making this decision. Let’s take a look at each one in detail:
Type of Toy
Before taking a close look at the toy itself, we must first establish what sort of a dog you have and the toys they like. There are a few basic types of chewing toys for dogs:
- Chewing Balls: What dog doesn’t love a good old ball? If you’ve got a tough chewer, you could choose to buy an indestructible chewing ball. Unlike tennis balls that are like paper to tough chewers, these balls are made out of different materials. They can bounce and float, so they’re perfect for parks or even pools as they won’t sink.
- Tug-Toys: Some aggressive dogs like to pull and tug at everything they see. For these dogs, tug-toys are the best choice. These are usually in the form of one or two rings, with one side that can be held by you while your dog pulls the other. If your dog is friendly enough, they can even play tug with other dogs. They’re also a great way to interact with your puppy and to make them feel calm and satisfied.
- Treat-Dispensing Toys: A relatively newer design in the market, these toys are basically meant to challenge your dogs to pull out a treat from within the toy. They have cavities within them which can be filled with your dog’s favorite treat or some homemade snacks and then handed over to them. Give one of these to your dog with a treat hidden inside, and watch them keep themselves busy for hours trying to dig it out!
- Bone Chew Toy: The bone chewing toy is yet another classic. Unlike real bones which are not only dangerous and pose a choking hazard, these sturdy rubber bones will give your dog something to gnaw on for the whole day. These are also more interesting as they have a distinct shape, with two circular ends and a middle section which keeps the dog curious and attracted. Although they’re not good for fetch or interaction, they’re perfect on their own for gnawing.
- Rope Chewing Toys: These kinds of toys are usually different shapes or animals made out of nylon and other kinds of ropes. These are some of the sturdiest and strongest types of chewing toys and can last a long time while enduring all kinds of tearing and chewing. Some of these are also great at improving your dog’s dental hygiene.
Durability of Toy
Once you’ve got an idea of what type of toy you’re going to buy, it’s time to look at the product itself. The most important feature of an indestructible chewing toy is the material it’s made from and its durability. Although there are many different materials, the best and most long-lasting toys tend to be made out of materials two materials; rubber and rope.
- Rubber: Rubber toys tend to be the best when it comes to durability as they’re almost indestructible. They’re difficult to rip or tear apart which also makes them secure. Chewing toys can be made out of both natural and synthetic rubbers which are both equally tough. Rubber chew toys are also great for gnawing on for the whole day or for balls and bones.
- Rope: Nylon rope toys are yet another choice for tough chewing toys. They’re super tough and almost impossible to break. And if your dog ingests a small piece of it, they’re likely to remain unharmed as they’re made out of cotton. Plus, nylon rope toys are also easy to clean and wash. Nylon rope is best for tugging toys as well as leashes for dogs that are aggressive chewers.
However, just like there are some great materials for chewing toys, there are some that you should avoid. Here are a few of them:
- Stuffed Toys: Stuffed toys are the absolute worst choice for aggressive chewers as they can rip them apart within seconds. What’s more dangerous is that they can consume some of that cotton which can cause digestive issues or something even more serious. We’ve included a plush toy in our list, but that’s an exception as it’s completely hollow.
- Vinyl or Latex Toys: These toys are also just as fragile as stuffed toys and any rough chewer will rip them apart and potentially ingest some of it while doing so. This can lead to digestive and even serious medical issues in worst-case scenarios.
Size of Toy
Picking the right-sized chewing toys is quite important for your dog’s happiness as well as safety. Some toys such as indestructible dog balls might work great for normal and small-sized breeds, however, they would pose a choking hazard for larger ones.
Usually, toys come in different sizes or for specific sized breeds. It’s very important that you buy the one that’s appropriately sized for your pooch. That’s why you should always opt for the largest-sized toy in order to avoid any chances of a choking hazard.
Safety of Toy
None of us would want to get their dog’s life or health into danger. Because of this, it’s always important to keep safety in mind when purchasing durable chewing toys. Make sure that the toys are made from non-toxic material and wouldn’t pose any threat to your puppy. It’s also highly recommended to check if the toys are checked by the FDA or other health and safety departments.
Also, avoid cheap chewing toys in general because they are usually going to be very poorly made. Saving a few bucks here and then spending thousands on medical bills isn’t exactly a win-win situation. Instead, invest in a good quality toy once instead of buying new ones again and again.
Most Aggressive Chewing Breeds
Although an aggressive chewing dog might be of any breed or size, there are a few selected breeds that are known to be heavy chewers. Because of this, you’ll need to keep lots of durable chewing toys as your dog will tear apart regular toys every couple of days.
Here is a list of some breeds that are heavy chewers by nature:
- Labrador Retrievers
- Jack Russell Terriers
- Golden Retrievers
- Australian Shepherds
- German Shepherds
- Shetland Sheepdogs
Safety Tips for Indestructible Chewing Toys
Although the word indestructible seems very assuring, it’s necessary that you still take precautions while giving your dog chew toys. In order to be on the safer side, you should follow these steps to ensure that your dog is free from any harm:
- Never leave your dog unsupervised with chewing toys: It is highly important that you keep a close eye on your dog while they’re playing with their chewing toys, especially during the first few days. And after they’re done playing, regularly inspect the toys for any deep holes or missing pieces. This is necessary because some chewing toys are more fragile and can break easily. Once you’ve seen that the chewing toy holds its shape, you can check it less frequently than before.
- Regularly clean the chewing toys: Practicing good hygiene can go a long way in maintaining your dog’s health. Therefore, you should frequently wash or at least rinse their toys to remove any dirt or grime. It’s also recommended to clean them properly after every once in a while.
- Take care while playing with tugging toys: Some dogs truly love to tug and pull, and tugging toys are their absolute favorite. However, if you’re playing with your dog with a tugging toy, make sure that you’re not pulling harshly or using jerks. Because if the toy is slightly misplaced or pull a little too hard, it can cause a painful injury and a costly veterinary trip.
What are indestructible dog toys?
Indestructible dog toys are made to resist aggressive chewing. Although they are really tough to tear apart, they’re still not guaranteed to be completely indestructible. They’re also really beneficial for improving a dog’s overall mental and physical health.
Is there a dog toy that is actually indestructible?
Although most dog toys are really strong and are assured to withstand chewing for a long time, no toy is actually a 100% indestructible. Some dogs will find a way to chew through anything you give them. Despite this, there still are some really good quality toys that can endure substantial amounts of torture.
What are the benefits of indestructible dog toys on my dog’s health?
There are a lot of benefits that your dog can get which include relief from boredom, good mental stimulation which improves your dog’s overall behavior. Chewing toys also help in improving the overall dental health of your dog.
Do indestructible dog toys have a guarantee?
Most manufacturers offer replacement guarantee with their product if a dog can chew through it. However, it’s still better to check the manufactures info and replacement policy before buying the product to be on the safer side.
What materials are indestructible dog toys made of?
Indestructible dog toys are made from a strong and durable material such as nylon, tough natural rubber, or double-knit rope making them almost impossible to chew through or break.
How do dogs pick their favorite toy?
This varies from dog to dog as some like fetching toys, while others like toys that make noise or can be carried easily within their mouth. What matters most and is the deciding factor here is your dog’s breed and personality.
What if my dog swallows a part of an indestructible dog toy?
It’s better if you contact your veterinarian immediately for advice in such cases as they know better how to handle an emergency case like this. However, you can still attempt to remove any piece that may be lodged in their throat if the object is completely blocking your dog’s air passageway and is within your reach.
Why do dogs eat their toys?
There are certain factors why your dog might be doing so which include lack of stimulation, boredom or that your dog might just be feeling too lonely. Also, if your dog is tearing or eating the toy, it means that they need something new or better to play with.
My Remaining Picks For Best Tough Chewing Toys
Nylabone Power Chew Original Flavored Wishbone Dog Toy
- Power Chew series prepared specially for the toughest chewers
- Bristles are raised during chewing to help clean plaque off teeth
- Flavoured throughout to attract the attention of your dog
- Reduces destructive chewing and anxiety
- Best for medium-sized dogs that weigh up to 35 pounds
This wishbone chewing toy from Nylabone is one of the toughest and most durable ones out there. Rated for dogs with the most aggressive chewing styles, the toy is almost impossible to tear apart. More so, the toy is flavored throughout which attracts your dog even more. And when they chew on it, the bristles help in cleaning their teeth and maintaining their dental hygiene.
Pacific Pups dog rope toys for aggressive chewers-set of 11
Pacific Pups Products
- Made from highest-quality rope to make the toys indestructible
- Proceeds go to Pacific Pups Rescue which is aimed at providing welfare to dogs
- Includes a giraffe floss toy to help clean your dog’s teeth and gums
- Plastic-free construction and meets ASTM F-963 safety regulations
- Reduces anxiety in dogs and helps in teething
This set of indestructible dog rope toys are meant for far more than just pleasure. These plastic-free toys meet ASTM F-963 Safety regulations and their amazing quality will help them last for years. Also included is a giraffe floss toy that improves your puppy’s dental health. However, the best part is that with each purchase, proceeds go to the Pacific Pups Rescue which helps protect dogs from high kill shelters.
Goughnuts – TuG Interactive Large Dog Toy – MaXX Black
- Dual-ring design great for playing tugging and pulling games with your dog
- Sturdy rubber material prevents the ring from breaking and harming your dog
- Great toy for interacting and engaging with your dog
- 11-inches long and 6-inches wide, best for bigger breeds
One of the most durable tugging toys of all, the Goughnuts TuG is an absolute must for dog owners. The dual ring design allows dog owners to play tug-of-war with their dogs, just not with your shoes while you’re late for office in the morning. The indestructible rubber material helps the toy last a long time and prevents it from harming either your dog or you in case it breaks.
LECHONG Durable Dog Chew Toys 13 Inch Bone Shape
- All-in-one chewing toy with great functionality and style
- Shaped both as a bone and tug toy – has handles at each end
- Covered in bristles to help remove tartar from your dog’s teeth
- Made of durable, non-toxic and safe TPR material
- Best for dogs that weigh up to 45 pounds
This great all-in-one chewing toy is an awesome choice for just about any dog. The bone-shaped toy also has hollow ends at each side to allow dog owners to play tug. It’s made from a durable TPR material which is both non-toxic and safe. More so, the bristles all over the toy help clean your dog’s teeth by removing tartar and plaque. If you’re not in favor of buying multiple chew toys, this is the one to go for.
KONG – Extreme Goodie Bone
- Made out of Kong extreme rubber formula for durability and longevity
- Empty space for filling treats and your dog’s favorite snacks
- Great for stimulating your dog’s mind and keeping them busy
- Reduces anxiety and helps with teething especially in puppies
- Made in the USA from globally sourced materials
If you’re looking for an alternative to real bones, the Extreme goodie bone from Kong is an excellent substitute. Built from Kong extreme black rubber formula like their other products, the durability of this toy is unmatched. More so, the bone can be stuffed with your dog’s favorite treats for a fun challenge. More so, all the chewing on this bone will keep your dog free of anxiety and will stimulate their mind.
Goughnuts – Indestructible Chew Toy MAXX
- Built from a special compound created by engineers for maximum durability
- The strongest Goughnut in the market – has a yellow dot as a mark
- Comes with a replacement warrantee by Goughnut if your dog chews through it
- Best for playing fetch and teething puppies
Probably the strongest chewing toy on the market, the Indestructible Chew toy Maxx is the best toy for the most aggressive chewers. It’s built from a special compound created by polymer and mechanical engineers and has a yellow spot to show that it’s the king of chewing toys. You can play fetch with it in a park or a pool as it can float too. You could also use the Goughnut for teething puppies.
Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy
- Bacon-flavoured and scented throughout for your dog’s enjoyment
- Ergonomic design allows easy gripping and comfortable chewing
- Made in the USA from locally sourced materials
- Benebone donates a certain amount to the welfare of dogs
Benebone wishbone chew toy combines the best of both worlds to create a yummy chewing toy. The wishbone is infused with a bacon scent and flavor which further amuses your dog. However, they’re very less likely to break down due to the strong construction and clever design. The dog-friendly design allows your dog to easily grip the toy and chew on it all day long to finish anxiety and boredom.
Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Squeak Ball
- Voted as the toughest dog ball in 2017 by the ‘Whole Dog Journal’
- Combines a squeaker with the ball to attract your dog’s attention even more
- Rated 100% non-toxic due to no usage of glue or any other adhesive
- Meets safety standards – BPA-free and phthalates-free
- Great for playing fetch – buoyant properties make it great for playing in pools and ponds
What do you get when you combine a squeaker with the world’s toughest dog ball? The Orbee-Tuff of course. This bouncy ball is made from an ultra-durable material with a squeaker enclosed in the center. It’s also rated 100% non-toxic due to a unique molding process that eliminates the use of glue. More than that, the ball also has buoyant properties which makes it great for fetch and other fun games.
Indestructible toys are truly a blessing for dog owners, whether you’ve got an aggressive chewer or not. Their durability helps them endure all sorts of tortures by your dog without giving in. If you’re a dog owner, we highly recommend you get at least one durable chewing toy which will last years and keep them happy for a long time.